A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Flu Shot

This afternoon, while shopping at Walm*rt, I spied the table where a nurse was giving flu shots. Although I absolutely HATE shots (worse than giving blood, yes, I'm weird), I just had to remember how sick I got a few years back the one time the flu took over my body and won. Every year since then, I tell myself it is worth the shot. So, as the big kids were looking at Halloween costumes, I meandered over to the table and signed up for a flu shot. Soon Buddy and Sweets came over to hold my hand. The nurse was amazing; I didn't even feel it. No kidding!

In fact, the nurse was SO good, I unilaterally decided the big kids should get a flu shot too. May did great. Her brother and sister held her hand. Then it was Buddy's turn - not so great. He was not happy and tried to make any deal he could to get out of it. Finally, he got himself under control, sat in my lap, and held his sisters' hands. The nurse was so patient. Buddy had to admit, it wasn't that bad, but he still wasn't happy about it. I didn't have Sweets' insurance paperwork with me, so we had less than half an hour to pay for our cartload of goodies, drive home, get the paperwork, drive back, and race in to the table. We made it with a couple of minutes to spare with a copy of Sweets' insurance card and my power of attorney (her dad has let me handle the doctor/dentist stuff for the last couple years). Sweets proudly sat down in the chair and received her shot as well, right after brother and sister held her hand too. Goodbye flu season!

No comments:

Post a Comment