A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Monday, February 21, 2011

Parenting?

Tonight I took Sweets back to her dad's, because school is back in session tomorrow after the holiday.  She was really fussing before we left that she didn't want to go. 

Friday night she spent with a friend of her dad's, a mature lady who is more like a grandmother to Sweets.  By Saturday afternoon, the friend was frustrated with Sweets' behavior and ready for me to pick up Sweets.  The friend then let Sweets's dad know how she behaved.

When I returned Sweets home tonight, Sweets's dad said she had a two week time-out and that she was not going to his friend's house or mine for two weeks.  I told him she had Chorus rehearsal on Saturday morning and she could not miss.  He said he would take her and she was coming home afterwards.  Sweets told me good-bye and went in the house and disappeared.  I'm guessing she was crying in their room. 

Her dad insisted that she needed to respect other people and he, as a parent, had to make sure that happened.  I said that's fine, as long as he got her to rehearsal.  I asked him to call later in the week and let me know how the week was going. 

Part of me is glad he is attempting to take parental responsibility.  Another part of me thinks this is overkill, especially two weeks.  I doubt it will last that long, because he will probably want a break before then.  If he really does get her to rehearsal, then maybe his reaction is a good lesson.  But if he fails to get her to her commitment because he doesn't make alternate arrangements when he doesn't have a car, has to work, or wants to sleep in after staying up late Friday night, he is not really teaching a lesson in responsibility anymore.

Let's see how the week plays out.  I'll be praying for both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment