A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Spider Bite

Buddy has been complaining about his leg itching from a bug bite since yesterday.  He has had a lot of bug bites lately, supposedly because he ran through some tall grass near school.  Well, this particular bite was bothering him more than most.  Yesterday the outside of his left thigh looked like an itchy bite that he had been scratching.  This morning it was red around the bite.  By this afternoon the redness had expanded to over 3" in diameter; it was hard and warm.  Tonight I took him to a nighttime pediatric urgent care (open 5pm to 5am seven days a week for kids only - best idea in a long time!).  Verdict: spider bite!

The doctor prescribed five days of oral antibiotic and 2.5% hydrocortisone cream.  After we finally got home from the 24 hour pharmacy with the prescriptions, I stared at the antibiotic, thinking that it didn't look like a chewable pill.  I called the pharmacy.  Nope, not chewable.  Azithromycin doesn't come in chewable.  I explained to Buddy that he had to swallow it with water; he was not happy.  After fifteen minutes of  "I don't know how" followed by a demonstration with a different pill by mom, he tried it.  Bravo!  Swallowed it on the first swig!  Happy boy; happy mom.  Hopefully the spider bite clears up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment