A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

First Band Concert

Tonight I went to Sweets' first band concert.  For those of you who have never been to a 5th and 6th grade band concert, let's just say I'm grateful it was only a half hour long!

 
There she is in the front row, one of four flutes in a band of 37 fifth graders.  She was all smiles, especially after she found me in the audience.  I walked in right as the band director turned around to start the music.


Afterwards, I couldn't find her dad.  I knew he had brought her to school for the concert.  When I asked Sweets where he was, she said he told her to ask me to drop her off at the laundromat a block down the street.  WHAT?!  He decided it was a higher priority to do laundry during that half hour than to come to the band concert.  Amazingly, it didn't seem to bother Sweets.  I tried not to make a big deal about it, but I wonder how much it really bothers her inside.  She passes things like this off as "that's just my dad".  So sad.

1 comment:

  1. I just posted about something similar.:) The sad part is you never get used to the craziness that they consider "normal".

    ReplyDelete