A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Friday, July 13, 2012

Sick

Sweets is here with me tonight after being at her dad's since last Sunday.  She has been sick since Tuesday.  On Wednesday night, she called and said her throat hurt really badly but her dad wasn't there.  She and her sister were staying with a friend who had no medicine.  Her dad was not answering his phone. 

After an hour of trying to get him, I called Sweets' aunt (dad's sister).  Unfortunately, she does not speak English and I don't speak Spanish.  I finally got the point across that Sweets was sick and needed medicine but we couldn't find her dad.  Within minutes, he called me (I guess he knows better than to ignore his sister's calls).  He picked Sweets up and took her to get medicine from her aunt.

Fast forward two days.  This afternoon, Sweets tells me she is still sick, getting worse.  Her aunt gave her cough and cold medicine once, but dad hasn't done anything.  I had already coordinated with her dad to pick her up tonight.  When I got there after dinner, he gave me her insurance card and willingly wrote a paper giving me permission to seek medical treatment for her.  I took her straight to urgent care.  Bless Miss M for happening to call and then come take care of the other kids.

Sweets has a nasty viral infection.  It especially affects the throat and mouth and makes her not want to eat or drink.  Staying hydrated is the big push to recovery.  The virus is also contagious through contact.  Somehow I need to keep the little ones from getting it.  I sure hope her sister at her dad's doesn't get it, or they will probably just continue to pass it back and forth. 

I feel awful that Sweets has been miserable for several days with no one really helping her.  I don't think it is dad's fault she got sick, but I do think he could have done something to make her more comfortable.  Yes, the virus must run its course, but Sweets doesn't have to be totally miserable in the process.  I'm glad she is here with me for the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment