A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Vacation Time

Left this morning for a ten day vacation.  May and Buddy are with me, as we join extended family on a cruise to Alaska to celebrate my parents' upcoming 50th wedding aniversary.  We arrived in Vancouver today and board the ship tomorrow.  I'm finally in relax mode, although 24 hours ago, it was a whole different story.  I was a nervous wreck last night, almost making myself sick.

Sweets' dad was asked if she could go last fall but waited until April to attempt to get a passport.  Then we discovered he didn't have valid ID to allow him to apply.  For two weeks he was going "tomorrow" to get the ID but never had time.  Sweets predicted it, saying he wouldn't go.  Unfortunately, taking time to do something with no direct benefit to him just doesn't rank among his priorities.  So, Sweets is not with us.  I am trying to send her to a week of summer camp later.  Her dad has okayed that, and I think he just has to sign a paper.

BB and Precious are staying part time with the marvelous Miss M as well as with an amazing foster family with whom I have been friends for several years.  BB is pretty content and should adjust easily; Precious is such a happy baby that I'm sure she will be fine.  It was very hard to kiss them goodbye this morning.  They were clueless but it really pulled on my heartstrings. 

Buddy was amazed to see the Grand Canyon from our flight today.  He was quite impressed.  We could even see the Colorado River.

We had some turbulents on the flight, and then there was a bit of a medical emergency.  A man had difficulty breathing, but another *medically trained* passenger along with the flight attendants were able to assist.  It resulted in the beverages being significantly delayed, and Buddy was getting impatient.  When I told him someone was having trouble breathing and that is why so many people were in the aisle instead of serving drinks, he understood.  We prayed for the man and Buddy's patience was at its best all day.

It really has been a low stress day. I forgot what it's like to travel with only two kids, and older ones at that. I think this is the first trip in YEARS that I haven't toted a diaper bag, snacks, and other things to constantly occupy young ones. These two can occupy themselves!   I'm constantly amazed at how mature May has become.  She was quite relaxed and is truly a seasoned traveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment