A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Saturday, July 30, 2011

First Week

Sweets had a good first week of 4th grade.  She called me Monday night (at 10:10pm) and said the first day was "great" and that her teacher was really nice!  Her opinion still holds true at the end of the week.  Hooray!  This is such an improvement over the last couple years when she returned to school and spent part of each day crying because she missed being at my home. 

We had the normal fiasco picking her up last night.  I called and asked if I could pick her up from dad's house around 6pm and then we would go to dinner.  Her dad said 7pm.  I told him fine, but he needed to feed her.  Then he said he was coming toward my side of town, so he gave me a meeting place. 

I showed up at the meeting place at 6:50pm after we finished dinner and called him.  Sweets told me her dad was getting in the shower.  Keep in mind they live 40 miles from us.  Unfortunately, I got a little peeved, because I was waiting with a friend and three kids in the van.  I told her I was taking BB home to get a bath and to call me when they were halfway to the meeting point and I would come back.  She thought I was mad at her.  I told her no, just frustrated with her dad for not calling when plans changed.  She told me her dad said they would be there by 8:30pm.

At 8:10pm, they called and said they just arrived at a Chinese buffet and that I could pick her up there.  Now, this buffet is over twice the distance from the original meeting place.  I couldn't believe was disappointed that he was just feeding her after 8pm at night.  Luckily, my friend volunteered to stay with BB so he could go to bed.  I went and picked up Sweets, and we finally made it home close to 9:30pm. 

Sometimes it's not worth it to have him help (e.g. bring Sweets to meet me).  It would have been much simpler to just make the drive and go get her between 6 and 7 at his house, but I'm sick of driving so far and him not being where he says he will be.  He only thinks of himself.  Everyone else, including his daughter, can adjust for his whims.  Arrrggghhh!

Good news is that Sweets is with me for the weekend AND she is in a good mood!  Praise the Lord!

1 comment: