A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Monday, June 13, 2011

Still Here

I picked up Sweets the afternoon of her last day of school on Wed, June 1st. I told her dad to call me when he wanted her to come home to his house and reminded him that he could call to talk to her anytime.

On Sat, June 4th, I forced Sweets to call him and tell him she is having fun and what she is doing. She reluctantly complied, worried he would tell her to come home. He didn't and I didn't talk to him.

On Tues, June 7th, he called to talk to her. Sweets said he told her to come home the next day. When he talked to me, he said to bring her home on Saturday. I told him Sweets had a dive competition Sat morning and that I would call him when it was over to figure out what time to bring her home. He said about 3pm but agreed that I would call.

On Sat, June 11th, I tried calling him but his phone was not functioning. I tried a couple more times - same result. Finally, he called me from another number about 4:20pm. I asked about his phone; he has to pay for it this week. He suggested Sweets stay until Tuesday, and I said that was totally fine with me. I told him he had to call me Monday night to setup a time since his phone was not working.

He called a little while ago tonight and said maybe Sweets could stay until Friday, June 17th. Again, I said that was fine, but asked if I could bring her home on Saturday instead of Friday since we are already planning to attend a birthday party for one of Sweets' cousins on Saturday evening near his house. I explained I really didn't want to drive all the way over there on Friday and again on Saturday (80 miles RT).  I suggested Sweets could stay with him through Sunday since it is Father's Day, and I would pick her up next Monday evening after my law class, since I'll already be halfway there. He said that was fine.

I also asked if she could then stay through the following weekend, because her next dive meet is that Sunday, halfway between our houses. He said yes, and that he would come. Hate to say it, but I will believe it when I see it.  It would be very nice for her if he does!

So, Sweets has now been here two weeks and counting. I am thrilled, and she is ecstatic!

1 comment: