A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Priorities

I had a wake-up call the other night while volunteering with the Children's Chorus in which the three older kids sing.  I was helping with uniforms and met an extremely polite, respectful, and gracious person.  It turns out he is the father of two teenagers in the group who happen to have major issues.  At the concert in April, neither teen had his/her uniform ready for inspection, and when they showed up for concert, the girl's dress was way too short and the boy's pants had never been hemmed.  The uniforms weren't exactly clean and pressed either.  Apparently these kids are known for lack of responsibility and little respect.  I was floored when I found out this was their father.

I inquired of another member of the uniform committee and found out that the father is a prominent doctor and the mother is too.  These are their biological kids.  The theory is that they have basically been raised in daycare and have never been taught much directly by their parents who basically continue to bail them out of bad situations.

Wow!  I know I need to set aside special time for each of my kids and to be very involved in their lives.  I also know that I rely heavily on Miss M and others to help me.  This wake-up call really got me thinking....

1 comment: