A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Adventure!

Ever take five kids through security at the airport by yourself?  It's definitely an adventure!

Sweets flew to my sister's tonight.  She was so excited to fly by herself.  I talked to her briefly after she arrived, and she said she met three new friends.  She knew the names of the two adults who sat by her (and probably got their ears talked off).  She also talked about another nice girl who was flying by herself that sat across the aisle.  Bottom line from her - it was fun!  She and my sister will have a blast for the next four days!

Because Sweets was flying unaccompanied, I needed to take her to the gate and wait until the plane was in the air.  When I checked Sweets in at the ticket counter and checked her bag, I told the lady I had four other children I needed to take through security with me.  She said, "We usually only allow one other."  I said, "Well, I'm a single mother of five, so I don't have a lot of choice."  Her jaw about dropped off.  I'm pretty sure she was thinking, "Why me?" as she told me she needed to see them all and asked all their names and birthdates for the passes to go through security.  She spelled one of the four correctly, but I guess it didn't matter much, because they didn't have ID. 

I had BB and Precious in a double stroller.  We walked up to security and I gave the man our passes with my ID.  He asked for May's ID.  I told him she didn't have one; she is twelve.  He looked her up and down and said he though she must be at least 15.  Then he looked at me like I was nuts.  Thank goodness Sweets started talking away!

We got the little ones out of the stroller.  May carried Precious through as I tried to corral BB as I folded up the stroller.  My barrette set off the metal detector; at least they let me take it out and try again so I didn't have to get wanded. 

I had only the diaper bag, and Sweets had her backpack.  I made sure both BB's cup and Precious' bottle had less than four ounces.  It didn't matter.  They still had to "test" the bottles.  I'm thinking, they let four ounce bottles of shampoo through, what's the deal?  But we finally made it.  Actually it took way less time than I expected; it was just hectic.

Everyone did fine.  We brought plenty of snacks.  BB only screamed a little, but it was so loud you didn't notice too much unless you were right next to him.  Sweets got on the plane.  The others watched out the windows while I fed Precious.  All in all, it was an interesting adventure!

1 comment:

  1. doesn't sound like much fun. ;)

    glad she got to go and had fun on the flight.

    brave girl!

    ReplyDelete