A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. --Forest E. Witcraft

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sigh...

BB definitely has found a mind of his own and is growing an independent side to his personality.  He knows what he wants and what he doesn't.  If he gets what he wants, he is such a joyful and fun child.  When he doesn't, well, let's just say he's not.  BB has taken to throwing fits on the floor, pulling hair, pinching (hard!), screaming, and throwing things when he is upset.  I tend to ignore him when he gets in one of these moods, but the other kids try to help.  Today I put my foot down and told them to stop unless they were told to help or asked first.  We can't reward this kind of behavior.

Starting around dinner tonight, BB started getting upset.  Yes, he was tired, but there had to be more.  Because he is still not talking much, it is very hard to guess.  He raises his arms up, but he doesn't point.  Back to dinner...first he kicked and threw a fit getting into the high chair.  Then he dumped his plate.  At least the food stayed on the high chair when he threw his plate on the floor.  Next, piece by piece, he started throwing the food on the floor.  He did eat applesauce and drank two cups of milk.  Then he started screaming and kicking again.  Nothing helped.  I finally took him out and put him in the bathtub.  He screamed through most of the bath, which is very unusual.  After he got out, he calmed down as I got him ready for bed.  He got his milk and went to bed nicely. 

About 15 minutes later, he started crying and screaming.  He was definitely tired.  I thought he would just wear himself out and go to sleep.  No such luck.  He was still throwing a fit about an hour later.  By then Sweets and Buddy were ready for bed.  It was pajama ride time!  I went in and picked up BB.  He sniffed and hiccupped and finally calmed down.  I knew if I put him down again, he would start all over.  Instead, he threw the next fit getting into the carseat!  I turned on lullabies and drove a few miles.  We needed to get gas anyway.  BB calmed down relatively quickly and sat quietly while I pumped gas.  We drove back home, not rushing at all.  As I turned into our neighborhood, he was still staring out the window.  May poked me as we approached our street.  He was finally out.  I drove around our subdivision, trying to find houses decorated for Halloween to keep the middle two occupied.  It worked.  When we got home, I was able to transfer BB to his bed (no small feat!).  He is out for the night!

I thought things might get easier after mid-terms/finals, as we moved into fall break.  Nope, just found enough time to breathe and catch up on everything that has been put off, postponed, or ignored for days or weeks.  I do feel like I have accomplished a lot, but this list is still long.  At least the most important stuff is completed.  I'm so glad I have one more day tomorrow before the chaos starts again.  Being home both yesterday and today has really helped me catch up.  Maybe next week won't be so crazy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds familiar. Tiring isn't it? I keep telling myself that things will get easier when Britton learns to communicate these ideas he has in his mind. He can sure throw some crazy fits when his expectations are not met. Hang in there. You are not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete